IT Value Matrix®
The IT Value Matrix® which illustrates the principles and practices essential to creating, identifying and communicating IT’s value to the enterprise. The Matrix identifies approximately 130 value-related activities grouped under three key practice areas - stakeholder alignment, communication and the CIO’s role. The practices are organised as a series of nested activities that progress form the general to the very specific. All 130 activities tie back to 7 timeless IT leadership principles.
Enduring Principles of IT Leadership
*Numbers 1 – 7 adjacent to Matrix components indicate which principle(s) provide the strategic foundation for that component
- The primary goal if IT is to align with major enterprise objectives so that every technology initiative is clearly tied in a provable way to business value.
- Because all major business initiatives are dependent on technology, the CIO must have a voice in making business decisions.
- With technology a critical component of business strategy, the CIO must understand a business’s complexities, influence executive peers and present technology strategy in appropriate, understandable business terms.
- Technology leaders are agents of change, transition is a stable state.
- Communication and relationship building are equally as important to leadership as technology skills.
- Successful technology leadership must a strike a balance between competing forces: short v’s long-term value, technology v’s business focus, driving v’s enabling.
- The CIO relationship is responsible for cultivating technology leadership at all levels of the enterprise
Download the IT Value MatrixIT Value Matrix®